NFL Picks: Week 16

San Diego Chargers @ Tennessee Titans (Fri)

I'm having trouble picking against Tennessee, however I want San Diego to win because it will clear up that AFC playoff picture a little bit more. Seriously, I've seen calculus problems that are easier than figuring out all of those tie-breakers. Plus the Chargers have a very good chance of being my pick as the AFC representative in the Super Bowl and I don't want them to screw it up with a late season loss.

Buffalo Bills @ Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons were far from impressive in their win against the Jets, although a win is a win. The Bills were also less than impressive but they got a loss last week, which is even worse. However, Brian Brohm makes his first NFL start this week for Buffalo and I'm giving them the nod for this. I'm not sure why. He is basically a rookie playing behind a horrendous offensive line. I will have fun calling him the "Brohm Bomber" though. Plus he was compared to Jim Kelly coming out of college, so he has to be good, right? All sarcasm aside, I called for the Bills to start Brohm before the season ended a week or two ago and while the injuries to both Ryan Fitzpatrick and Trent Edwards forced the decision, I'm very excited to see it.

Kansas City Chiefs @ Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals have been reeling a bit lately but they should get back on track against Kansas City. It will be their first home game since the death of Chris Henry and the most fitting tribute they could give him would be a win at home to clinch the AFC North.

Oakland Raiders @ Cleveland Browns

Is everybody ready for Charlie Frye's long awaited return to Cleveland? It's too bad the Raiders don't play the Bills because a J.P. Losman return to Buffalo would rank right up there with this game.

Seattle Seahawks @ Green Bay Packers

When it comes to this game, I'm extremely nervous/interested in it. In fact, I would argue that this game holds more interest for me than the Bills game does. Mostly because the Bills and Falcons are irrelevant at this point, both from an NFL aspect and fantasy aspect.

Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers took their first game against Baltimore to overtime before losing, mostly because of a costly interception thrown by Dennis Dixon. I said this immediately after the game, but the Ravens won't have that liberty this time. So not only do they get Pittsburgh on the road, but Ben Roethlisberger will be under center for this game. On top of that, the Steelers just got a sickening last second victory that will no doubt propel them straight into the playoffs and beyond. This whole thing has back-to-back Super Bowl Champs written all over it. You can quote me on that.

Houston Texans @ Miami Dolphins

Ok, I'll give Miami another shot. So far they lost to Buffalo when I picked them, they beat Jacksonville when I picked the Jags, and they lost to the Titans when I picked them. But you know what? They can handle Houston at home. To be honest, the only thing I care about is how well Andre Johnson does in this game. Last season, I would've considered him for the number two or three receiver in the entire league behind Larry Fitzgerald, but now I might have to reconsider that notion. Johnson has been downright amazing for the entire season.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ New England Patriots

Sure, I'll pick New England. I guess. Randy Moss can carry the world on his shoulders so they should definitely win. I'm not sure why he didn't do that in Minnesota or Oakland, but apparently he can do it now. Except for that game against Carolina where he completely mailed it in. But whatever, he really showed me last week. I'm convinced.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New Orleans Saints

The Buccaneers aren't a very good team and the Saints just got humbled on National TV. This game has 'ugly' written all over it. I'd bet the house on New Orleans with a 20 point line right now.

Carolina Panthers @ New York Giants

The Panthers played some inspired football Sunday night against Minnesota, but I don't see it happening two weeks in a row. Meanwhile, the Giants desperately need a win to stay alive in the playoff chase. While I don't totally trust Eli Manning in the howling New Jersey wind, I think the rest of the Giants should can elevate their game enough to pick up another win.

St. Louis Rams @ Arizona Cardinals

Even though the Cardinals have won their division, have basically nothing to play for, and randomly decide to not show up for games, this should be an easy win. It's the Rams for crying out loud. Throw the ball to Larry Fitzgerald, early and often.

Detroit Lions @ San Francisco 49ers

The Niners really have no excuse to lose to the Lions. While they did improve on last year's 0-16 record, the Lions are still the Lions and have no chance in this game.

Denver Broncos @ Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles need to keep winning in order to win the NFC East, and they should be able to handle Denver. For one, Denver is traveling all the way to the East Coast for this game. For two, they just lost at home to Oakland and I no longer have any confidence in that team. Yes, I realize that Philly also lost to Oakland, but the circumstances were a little different.

New York Jets @ Indianapolis Colts

Normally I'd have a ton of confidence in picking the undefeated home team over the .500 away team, but having the game inside a dome takes away the Colts biggest advantage, the Sanchise playing outdoors. Luckily for the Colts, the Jets aren't very good as it is so they should be able to hit 15-0 with relative ease. Then the only thing standing in their way of an undefeated regular season is a trip to Orchard Park on January 3rd.

Dallas Cowboys @ Washington Redskins

While this has the makings of a letdown game, I'm not quite sure the Redskins can even manage that these days. They looked about as lifeless as humanly possible last Monday night against the Giants. Then again, with division rivals facing each other, you never know. Or in this case, you definitely know.

Minnesota Vikings @ Chicago Bears

The Vikings haven't been especially great lately, but they should easily rebound against the Bears. Even if Brett Favre played poorly in this game, it would be immensely better than how Jay Cutler has played all season long. Speaking of Cutler, has there been a bigger disappointment in terms of offseason acquisitions? I don't think so. My initial criticism of Cutler was that he was a glorified fantasy QB, and he can't even live up to that hype this season. Along with killing fantasy owners who drafted him, he is consistently killing the owners who drafted Greg Olsen as their starting tight end.

On the topic of fantasy, in one particular league I'm in, I got saddled with the first overall draft pick. I hate drafting first. Not only do you set the tone for the entire draft, but with 12 teams in the league, you don't draft again for another 21 picks. So by that time, everyone else really good has been taken. Now you're debating on grabbing a wide receiver or QB, then you're waiting again while everyone goes off the board. It is by far the worst pick in a fantasy draft. Somehow, I managed to still make it to the Championship in this league, but no huge thanks to Adrian Peterson. He is one of three people to get me over 200 points this season, the others were drafted in rounds four and nine. It used to be a slam dunk that Peterson was the best RB in the league, but now I think someone would be crazy to make that statement. In other news, the team I'm facing has Chris Johnson.



Last Week: 10-6*

NFL Season: 145-92

*I picked Jax/NO for my first two picks in the article last week, but when transferring the picks over to my group on ESPN.com, I picked Ind/Dal. To keep things consistent in terms of overall record, those picks were counted since there was no way to take them off via ESPN.



Scott's Picks:



San Diego Chargers @ Tennessee Titans (Fri)

Buffalo Bills @ Atlanta Falcons

Kansas City Chiefs @ Cincinnati Bengals

Oakland Raiders @ Cleveland Browns

Seattle Seahawks @ Green Bay Packers

Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers

Houston Texans @ Miami Dolphins

Jacksonville Jaguars @ New England Patriots

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New Orleans Saints

Carolina Panthers @ New York Giants

St. Louis Rams @ Arizona Cardinals

Detroit Lions @ San Francisco 49ers

Denver Broncos @ Philadelphia Eagles

New York Jets @ Indianapolis Colts

Dallas Cowboys @ Washington Redskins

Minnesota Vikings @ Chicago Bears



Last Week: 9-7

NFL Season: 149-88

Follow Us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Topics