NFL Picks: Week 13

New York Jets @ Buffalo Bills (Thurs-Toronto)

I'm torn. I think we're about to witness some kind of history, or at least a major milestone in Buffalo Bills history. Barring any kind of breakout game by Ryan Fitzpatrick, this will be the 50th consecutive game by a Buffalo Bills QB, where the total passing yards have been less than 300 yards for the entire game. I'm not sure if I should be proud of this, embarrassed by it, or simply amazed. 50 games!! To further hammer home this point, here is a list of the quarterbacks that have thrown for over 300 yards in one game in this season alone, along with the number of times they have done it in parentheses.

Peyton Manning (8)
Jay Cutler (3)
Drew Brees (6)
Kevin Kolb (2)
Tom Brady (6)
Eli Manning (2)
Matt Schaub (6)
Jake Delhomme (2)
Tony Romo (5)
Matt Hasselbeck (2)
Brett Favre (4)
Donovan McNabb (1)
Ben Roethlisberger (4)
Matthew Stafford (1)
Aaron Rodgers (4)
Brady Quinn (1)
Joe Flacco (3)
Vince Young (1)
Phillip Rivers (3)
Kyle Orton (1)
David Garrard (3)
Matt Ryan (1)
Kurt Warner (3)
Jason Campbell (1)


After taking the time to actually compile this list (yes, I'm bored), I found a couple of things interesting. One, there are some terrible names on this list. Kevin Kolb, Jake Delhomme, Brady Quinn, and Jason Campbell come to mind. That just tells me that it really isn't that hard to throw for over 300 yards, even if the QB and team are terrible. In fact, Kolb did it twice this season in his only two career starts. Either the Eagles are sitting on a real gem that nobody knows about, or Kolb is just a lucky guy. Two, besides Matt Schaub and the Texans, look at the top half of that list and tell me what they all have in common. That's right, most are playoff bound. It's no coincidence that the top two on the list are currently sporting 11-0 records. The Patriots, Cowboys, Vikings, Steelers, Packers, Chargers, Cardinals, and Ravens all have a pretty good shot at the playoffs, so apparently having a really good passing game is pretty important.

Sorry for the little tangent, but I just find this little fact amazing, simply amazing. So you can see my dilemma. Do I secretly wish we reach the 50 game milestone or do I pray that Fitzpatrick ends the 300 yard drought with a huge night against a hated rival?

I think if this game were being played in Buffalo, it would be a slam dunk to pick to the Bills. Unfortunately, it's not. It's in a comfortable dome up in Toronto. So basically the Bills have taken what could be a very important division game and nullified the biggest advantage by playing in a dome and saving the Sanchize from facing the elements and throwing at least four interceptions. Remind me again why these games in Toronto are a good idea. At the very least, make these games against NFC opponents. Stop playing division games away from Ralph Wilson Stadium for crying out loud!! I'm using multiple exclamation marks!!! Can't you see what you've done to me??

Philadelphia Eagles @ Atlanta Falcons

Whoa, wait a second. How is this game not being thrown in our face by ESPN and other media outlets? I didn't even realize it until I thought about the matchup for a few minutes. It's Michael Vick's return to Atlanta. That's huge, right? It has to be. I guess it is no Brett Favre return to Lambeau, but this is still a pretty big homecoming. Maybe the Falcons would even want to borrow him for the afternoon seeing that Matt Ryan is out and their slim playoff hopes are resting on the shoulders of Chris Redman. Not good times in Atlanta right now.

St Louis Rams @ Chicago Bears

The Bears are a pretty bad team and Jay Cutler is having a miserable first season in Chicago, but even they can handle the Rams. Two things are for sure with this game. One, it will be extremely ugly. Two, I will refuse to watch one second of the game, even the highlights.

Detroit Lions @ Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals should be able to stretch their division lead with an easy win against Detroit, or at least maintain that lead. After slipping up against Oakland, there was no way they were going to lose to Cleveland and there is even less of a chance they lose at home to Detroit. What else can I say about this game? Am I supposed to break down this terrible matchup? Am I supposed to tell you that Carson Palmer is much better than Matthew Stafford? Should I bring up how good the Bengals defense is? Let's just move on now.

Tennessee Titans @ Indianapolis Colts

It's the upset of the week folks. (One of these weeks I'm bound to get this right). The Titans are on a roll and desperately need this win to continue their epic chase for the playoffs after a 0-6 start. The Colts haven't exactly looked great the past few weeks, almost lost against Houston, and have already clinched their division. With New England losing last week, I'd guess they just about have home field advantage locked up as well. Really, what else are they playing for? Sure they would like to finish the season 16-0, but they've had multiple chances to do that in the past and it never really seemed to be a priority. Instead they usually rest their players so they are just rusty enough to lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs

Denver got back on the winning track and was rewarded with a long 10 day break before facing the woeful Chiefs in Arrowhead. This really should be an easy game but probably won't. Division matchups are almost always played closer than they should be and games involving Kyle Orton don't always go according to plan.

New Orleans Saints @ Washington Redskins

If this were any other team facing Washington in similar circumstances, I'd say this has letdown game written all over it. Flying high, undefeated, huge win on national TV, easy road game against a terrible team…yep, all signs point to a letdown game. But it won't happen. The Saints are way too talented and Drew Brees is way too focused to let it happen. In fact, Vegas couldn't make the spread high enough for this game.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Carolina Panthers

This must be my lucky day. I woke up this morning a little bit late and naturally forgot/didn't have time to post my picks. I figured, I'll just post them after work and it will be fine because it will still be hours before the first game of the week. Little did I know that later this morning I would read the news that Jake Delhomme won't be starting for the Panthers this week, Matt Moore will get the nod instead. Um…who? Oh right, the guy with these stellar career stats. 11 games played, 56.1 completion percentage, three touchdowns, six interceptions and a 63.5 rating. Granted the chance remains that removing Jake Delhomme from the starting lineup will actually be an improvement for Carolina, but I'm going with my gut on this one and my gut tells me that Matt Moore sucks. Let's just hope the rest of my pick league members don't read my articles.

Houston Texans @ Jacksonville Jaguars

The Texans will win this game and here is why.

1. It's a road game they probably shouldn't win, and those are the ones they always do.

2. They are pretty much out of the playoff race, so they will win this game to string along their fan base just a little bit more before ultimately letting them down…again.

3. They have lost three games in a row so they are due.

4. I can't stand Jacksonville.

Oakland Raiders @ Pittsburgh Steelers

It's still early in the week but I'm hearing that Ben Roethlisberger will probably play this Sunday. I guess he doesn't want to further upset his model teammate and resident tough guy, Hines Ward. Truth is, he could probably rest this week and next to make sure he is 100% healthy. I saw enough in Dennis Dixon to be fully convinced he could lead Pittsburgh to victory over both Oakland and Cleveland.

New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins

Normally I would pick Miami in this game because they are usually good for one win per season against New England, but not this week. The Patriots are coming up an embarrassing loss against New Orleans and will surely be looking for revenge. Plus, after watching Buffalo beat down Miami, I'm not sure I can ever pick the Dolphins to win again. The Patriots just have to focus on stopping Ricky Williams and Chad Henne will do the rest.

San Diego Chargers @ Cleveland Browns

If I'm a Browns fan, I'm only going to this game to tailgate and only if the weather is nice. Otherwise, I'm staying home and watching the blowout from the comfort of my living room in glorious HD.

San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks

This is a tough game to pick. The 49ers aren't a terrible team; in fact, Seattle has looked much worse this season in the few games I've seen. But for some reason, I just don't trust Alex Smith on the road in a somewhat hostile environment like Seattle. I'm assuming the weather will be bad and Seattle's crowd really brings it, so I'm going with the Seahawks. Sometimes my picks really come down to something simple like that. Maybe that's why I've missed 72 games so far this season.

Dallas Cowboys @ New York Giants

Ugh, this was a much harder game to pick than you think. I know the Giants have been very bad lately but they are a desperate home team playing their hated rival, which usually brings out the best in a team. Combine that with the fact that Tony Romo is now playing December football and it's almost a sure Giants win. However, Eli Manning is banged up and kind of wishy-washy when playing in poor elements, so I just have to go with the better team.

Minnesota Vikings @ Arizona Cardinals

I was inclined to pick Arizona because they are at home and need this game much worse than Minnesota. Then I remembered that Minnesota blew Arizona out at home last year without Brett Favre. I was also reminded that Matt Leinart might be starting his second straight game. If Leinart starts, Arizona has no hope. If Warner starts, well, they still probably have no hope.

Baltimore Ravens @ Green Bay Packers

The Ravens are flying high after a huge win against Pittsburgh last week, but they will come crashing down to Earth this Monday night. The Packers have been rolling lately and Baltimore isn't exactly the greatest road team this season. I almost wish both teams could win for various reasons, but it isn't possible, so my gut says Green Bay will win.

Last Week: N/A

NFL Season: 117-72



Scott's Picks:



New York Jets @ Buffalo Bills (Thurs-Toronto)

Philadelphia Eagles @ Atlanta Falcons

St Louis Rams @ Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions @ Cincinnati Bengals

Tennessee Titans @ Indianapolis Colts

Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs

New Orleans Saints @ Washington Redskins

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Carolina Panthers

Houston Texans @ Jacksonville Jaguars

Oakland Raiders @ Pittsburgh Steelers

New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins

San Diego Chargers @ Cleveland Browns

San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks

Dallas Cowboys @ New York Giants

Minnesota Vikings @ Arizona Cardinals

Baltimore Ravens @ Green Bay Packers

Last Week: N/A

NFL Season: 119-70

Follow Us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Topics