Dear Kobe, I'm Sorry

Dear Kobe,

I'm sorry. I know I've never really had any kind words for you and you've clearly never been one of my favorite players, and while that fact hasn't exactly changed, my opinion has, at least a little. While I've never denied your talents on the court, I have questioned them from time to time. See, I always thought you were a bit of a ball hog and fired up far too many shots, far too often. You proved me wrong though, at least for the most part.

Color me impressed, and not just by this latest championship victory, though that's certainly a part of it. No, I'm impressed about more than that. We've heard from a lot of your teammates on the US Olympic team as of late, true superstars that are leaders of their own teams on a normal basis, and they've all pointed to you as the man who took charge in Beijing. I'm also impressed by the immaculate turn around you've managed on your public perception. You went from "Kobe the Rapist" to quite possibly, "Kobe the Most Popular Player in the NBA". Not an easy feat by any means, I'm sure it took a lot of work on your part. I'm impressed that you were determined to go out and get that title that showed without a doubt that it was because of you, and not Shaq. Your tactics a few years back might not have been ideal, but I suppose they worked out and you got the supporting cast you needed.

I said LeBron surpassed you as the best player in the NBA within the last year... perhaps I was a bit premature. I still think he has the best all around skill set in the league, but he's lacking a few things that you still have. So I'll once again put the crown back on your head, but beware, you're still poised to lose it soon. Enjoy this one, you truly earned it, along with my respect.

Follow Us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Topics