Who is the Best Player in the NBA? Finals: Kobe Bryant vs. LeBron James

After working our way down from 8 players to the final 2, it's time to unveil our pick for the Best Player in the NBA. Devin and I debated it back and forth, and the winner ended up being... Well, actually, we both have our own choice. So instead we leave it in the hands of our readers. Please chime in with your vote in the comment section below.

Devin:

We have reached the end of our bracket with only two NBA players left standing, Lebron James and Kobe Bryant. I think 9 out of 10 people who read this article will make their decision based on a personal opinion, instead of looking at all the facts. It really didn't take me long to come up with my answer: Kobe Bryant.
Scott, I ask you this. If you were starting an NBA team from scratch tomorrow and had the first overall pick, who would you pick? The young star who has yet to win anything (besides Olympic Gold) or the player who has multiple championships on his resume? I'm going with the guy with multiple championships. Even if you want to count championship losses, Kobe has been to the Finals five times compared to only one time for Lebron. I want a guy with experience, I want a guy who has been through the post-season more times, and I want the guy who has won before. He knows what it takes to win and will be the much better player and leader.
Kobe Bryant's stats say enough and we've crunched the numbers in previous articles. I think if we were having this conversation in another 10 years, maybe things would be a little bit different. But as of right here, right now, Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA. Lebron definitely has the potential to be the best, but he just isn't right now. Until it is proven to me, I will continue to say Kobe is the best.

Scott:


Devin, I'd disagree with you on almost every front. You speak of experience and championships when it comes to Kobe, and my first thought is how much of that would he actually have if it weren't for those around him? Kobe has done nothing by himself except lose in the NBA Finals... LeBron has done the exact same, and with far less help I'd like to add. The difference is he did it by age 24, Kobe didn't make the finals without Shaq until he was 30. This debate is not about the best scorer in the NBA, if it were, I'd be much more inclined to agree with you. It's about the best player, and that my friend, is LeBron James. LeBron is on par with Kobe when it comes to scoring, though I'd say Kobe has more natural ability when it comes to pouring in the points. James however is also a tremendous rebounder and passer of the ball. Even if we were to give Bryant the nod in points (which in reality, he's over 2 points less per game career to date), LeBron averages over a rebound and a half, and 2 more assists per game than Kobe for their careers. This argument begins and ends with age. LeBron is barely 24 years old, so let's look at Kobe at the same age. From 1996 through 2002 (the year Kobe turned 24), he averaged just a tick under 20 ppg. That's 7+ points less per game, and I won't even get back into rebounds and assists. Suffice it to say that LeBron at 24 is leaps and bounds better than Kobe was at the same age, and in my book, he's even better than Kobe is right now.

Devin:

Fair enough. I try not to compare age because both players came into the league with a different situation. Kobe was a mid-round draft pick by the Charlotte Hornets, only to be traded away to the Lakers. LeBron James was on ESPN while in High School and was easily the first overall pick. So one could say, greatness from LeBron is to be expected. He has yet to dissapoint, but he hasn't quite shown what he is capable of yet. His one finals appearance was a shock to most of the NBA community and the Spurs did away with the Cavs like they were a JV team. Kobe spent the early part of his career as a sixth man until he grew into his role. Therefore, if you're telling me that LeBron at 24 is better than Kobe was at 24, I'll agree.

Unfortunately, that isn't the debate we're having. We're discussing who the better player is right now, regardless of age. That player is Kobe Bryant. I have a feeling that you might be changing your mind after this year when the Lakers actually do win the finals and Kobe wins without Shaq. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't even put the Cavs into the finals. Personally, I'd like to see what LeBron would do in the Western Conference, where the competition is far greater. Who does LeBron have to compete with in the East? The Celtics, the Magic, and....the Knicks? Bobcats? Wizards? Bulls? I could go on all day. Of course his numbers are going to look great, but they might be somewhat inflated. Out West Kobe goes against Phoenix, San Antonio, Houston, Denver, Portland, and New Orleans. I think based on that, Kobe's performance is that much more impressive. But speaking of the Knicks, who just set the record for most points scored in Madison Square Garden?


Scott:


I am SO glad you brought up the MSG game from the other night, because it illustrates my reasoning so perfectly. The Lakers lose Andrew Bynum for maybe 3 months and how does Kobe Bryant react? Shoot the ball a hundred times and don't bother with anybody else. 61 points is impressive... 3 assists, 0 rebounds? Not so much. LeBron turns around and drops 52... but oh wait, he also had a triple double with 10 boards and 11 assists. I can tell you which stat line I'd take each and every time. As for Kobe winning a championship this year, I don't see why you'd have any reason to believe that his team is going to be any better this year than last. Your Western Conference is stronger argument just doesn't make an ounce of sense anymore either. The 3 of the 4 best teams in the entire NBA are all in the East. You bring up the Knicks and the Bobcats as if somehow the Clippers, Kings, Grizzlies, or Thunder are any better? The Cavaliers continue to improve, and while they're going to have a difficult time dealing with Boston or Orlando, they can't be counted out of the Championship picture in the least. The Lakers on the other hand will now have to rely on their favorite ball hog more than ever and they won't have the luxury of picking up a bonus All Star from a failing team again this year like they did last. And as far as the "these guys came into the league under different circumstances" argument? Even further proving my point. LeBron has had more pressure placed on him since High School than any other pro athlete in history, forget about just the NBA. You said it yourself, he hasn't disappointed either. Suffice it to say we're having this argument right now and he's still got 6 years worth of time to make up on Kobe yet, that in and of itself shows how great King James really is.

Follow Us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Topics