Ranking The 2009 NFL Free Agents: Quarterbacks

The NFL off-season is by far, the longest of the four major sports. So during the long downtime and before the start of free agency, I wanted to take a look at some of the players hitting the market and rank them accordingly.

In my first batch of rankings, I want to discuss the most important position on the field, quarterback. Relatively speaking, this is a pretty weak free agent class that most likely won’t have a huge impact (unless one of the players decides on retirement). So without further ado, here are my 2009 free agent QB rankings.

1. Kurt Warner (Arizona, UFA) – Although he is getting up there in age, Kurt Warner is the best QB heading into free agency. Chances are that by the time free agency starts, Warner will no longer be available. Arizona would be insane to pass him up and if he isn’t playing for Arizona next season, he will most likely be retired. If Warner still wants to play, Arizona is his best shot with all the offensive weapons they have. Assuming Warner comes back, I see a second consecutive division title for the Cardinals next season.

2. Kerry Collins (Tennessee, UFA) – Collins is a similar situation as Warner, minus the huge offensive numbers and conference title. Regardless, Tennessee would also be insane to let him walk. I realize they have Vince Young waiting on the bench, but that is an instant downgrade to the team as a whole if they let Collins walk and start Young. I think Collins knows this and that is the reason for his large salary demands in the early talks. If Collins decides to test the market, I could potentially see him getting the money, but the wins and success won’t be there like they are in Tennessee.

3. Jeff Garcia (Tampa Bay, UFA) – Jeff Garcia is definitely no spring chicken, but for a team on the cusp of the playoffs and contending for a Super Bowl, Garcia would be worth the risk for one or two years. Tampa Bay seems to have no desire for him, even though he is their best option, so somebody will give him another shot. Garcia’s play isn’t always pretty, but he knows how to win and that could prove beneficial.

4. Matt Cassel (New England, FRANCHISED) – Call me crazy, but I have the other three quarterbacks ahead of Cassel because I honestly think they are better options. I didn’t see every Patriots game this year, but I saw enough to not be fully convinced on Cassel. I think if the Patriots make a trade and score a number of draft picks, they will truly be swindling the team that made the trade. Cassel played extremely well for the Pats this year, but they also had a ton of weapons for him to make use of, and one of the best coaches around to guide him. If he goes to a team, say Detroit for example, they might as well rename the city Flop City, because that’s what it will be.

5. Chris Simms (Tennessee, UFA) – Assuming he is healthy, I think Chris Simms deserves another chance to start for an NFL team. In his brief time with Tampa Bay, he showed me more than enough to believe in him. Then after the injuries, he never really saw the field again and got that chance to prove himself. Like I said, assuming he is 100% healthy, he should be given another chance.

6. Byron Leftwich (Pittsburgh, UFA) – I’m not completely sold on Leftwich, but this is a pretty weak free agent class. Something tells me that if a guy lands on his third team in as many years, something is wrong with him. Leftwich did fine backing up Big Ben in Pittsburgh this year, but I’m not so sure he is starting material. I think he would make a fine back-up for another team (or Pittsburgh), but I wouldn’t want him starting for my team.

7. Charlie Batch (Pittsburgh, UFA) – If I’m both Pittsburgh and Charlie Batch, I want nothing to change. If it wasn’t for injury, he would’ve been the primary back-up to Ben this season. Since coming to Pittsburgh, Batch has excelled in his role and given the Steelers every opportunity to win when he has played. He is perfect for that role and if he is healthy again this season, he should want to be back and Pittsburgh should want him back.

8. Patrick Ramsey (Denver, UFA) – Ramsey isn’t starting material anymore, but he serves as a more than decent back-up. He has the experience and physical skills to get a team through a tough stretch if need be, but he shouldn’t be starting for any other reason than injury and he shouldn’t be starting for an extended amount of games (if you want your team to win).

9. Joey Harrington (New Orleans, UFA) – Let’s get one thing straight: Joey Harrington shouldn’t be starting in the NFL unless your QB is injured or it’s the pre-season. Harrington has been given so many chances to start and failed, that if he were a high school student he would be repeating the 10th grade until he was 30. But, and this is a big one, if he is the back-up on your team and sees limited game action, he serves his role well. If he has to come in for a half while your QB nurses a sore groin, he will probably be just fine.

10 (t). Kyle Boller (Baltimore, UFA) – After seeing Joe Flacco succeed in his rookie season, that officially ended the Boller era in Baltimore. Throughout his years, he never got better and did just enough to help the Ravens lose games. He may serve as a suitable back-up and should get another job in the NFL, but he shouldn’t be starting…EVER.

10 (t). J.P. Losman (Buffalo, UFA) – Losman and his time in Buffalo remind me exactly of Kyle Boller and his time in Baltimore. Losman just never improved and got the job done. He can officially be labeled a first round bust. I don’t care what anyone says about coaching, schemes, or chances, Losman is flat out not good enough to start in the NFL. Even this season when Trent Edwards went down with injury, Losman had a chance to showcase himself for this off-season and sucked so much that he should legally change his first name to Jenna.

10 (t). Rex Grossman (Chicago, UFA) – If I could sum up Rex Grossman with one word, it would be TERRIBLE. Rex Grossman is terrible. And for all the people that will start crying that he led Chicago to the Super Bowl..WRONG. Chicago went to the Super Bowl despite the QB play of Grossman. If they had a 45% more competent QB in that Super Bowl, the game would’ve been a lot closer. If I’m a Bears fan, I’m cracking open a cold one to celebrate the day this guy is officially playing for another team. Then I’m cracking open another 11 cold ones because I just realized Kyle Orton is still on the team.

13. J.T. O’Sullivan (San Francisco, UFA) – J.T. had his chance to shine in SF and was promptly benched in favor of Shaun Hill. Despite that, he should still find his way on to an NFL roster this spring. Now whether or not he makes it until September, that is another story all together.

I’m going to make things short and sweet for the final batch of QB’s. If I were to fall asleep until August and when I woke up, you told me that any of these QB’s are third string on an NFL roster, I wouldn’t be shocked. On the flip side, if you told me that they were bagging groceries at the local grocery store and making Whoppers on the weekend, I also wouldn’t be shocked.

14. Anthony Wright (NY Giants, UFA)
15. Ryan Fitzpatrick (Cincinnati, UFA)
16. Dan Orlovsky (Detroit, UFA)
17. Jamie Martin (San Francisco, UFA)
18. Marques Tuiasosopo (Oakland, UFA)
19. Charlie Frye (Seattle, UFA)
20. Drew Hensen (Detroit, RFA)
21. Brooks Bollinger (Dallas, UFA)
22. Brian St. Pierre (Arizona, UFA)
23. Gibran Hamdan (Buffalo, RFA)

Follow Us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Topics