NFL Picks – Week Two


Arizona Cardinals @ Atlanta Falcons – The Falcons looked bad enough last Sunday at Pittsburgh that it has many people reconsidering whether or not they are a playoff team. I have confidence in my pick that they can contend for the NFC South title, despite one poor showing on opening day. It's merely a matter of how they bounce back at home against a very beatable Arizona team. Let's be honest, the Cardinals are a terrible team right now. For the first time since I've seen Larry Fitzgerald play, I thought he was actually going to blow a gasket on the sideline. The Cardinals escaped St. Louis with a victory and that says a lot about the team they have this year. (Atlanta)

Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals – Don't let the 38-24 score fool you last Sunday. The Bengals were manhandled in Foxboro before the Patriots let up and Cincy put some garbage points. It doesn't get any easier as they now come home to face Baltimore in the first of their two meetings this year. Baltimore's offense looked less than great on Monday night, but you have to also consider the team they were facing. Cincinnati's defense is a far cry from the Jets' defense. Despite these rough two weeks, the Bengals could very well be 3-2 in a few weeks after games against Carolina, Cleveland and Tampa Bay. All hope is not lost yet for Cincy. (Baltimore)

Kansas City Chiefs @ Cleveland Browns – When a team is as bad as Cleveland is, they need to pick up the easier wins when they have the opportunity. This is exactly what they failed to do last Sunday when they faced Tampa Bay. Now they are 0-1 and face the upstart Chiefs, who just upended the Chargers on the late Monday night game. The Chiefs have a short week and they travel, but I expect them to keep the momentum rolling with a relatively easy win in the Dawg Pound. If the Browns can't pick up a win on Sunday, I'd be shocked if they didn't start out at least 0-9. After Kansas City, take a look at their schedule. At Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, at Pittsburgh, at New Orleans, New England and NY Jets. Looks like the Bills might have some competition for the first overall pick. (Kansas City)

Chicago Bears @ Dallas Cowboys – Dallas did look horrible on Sunday night but they aren't that bad in reality. Despite their win on opening day, Chicago is a horrible team in reality. I would be astonished if the Cowboys didn't hammer the Bears and get the hype machine up and rolling again. (Dallas)

Philadelphia Eagles @ Detroit Lions – How do you know by week two that your fantasy season might be going down the tubes? When you're starting Michael Vick already. This is what happens when you draft Kevin Kolb to be your starter and your backup QB faces Baltimore this week. I can only hope Vick tears up Detroit like he did against Green Bay as the game wore on last week. Honestly, I kind of expect it. (Philadelphia)

Buffalo Bills @ Green Bay Packers – This game is going to be a massacre. The Bills struggled to score any points against a mediocre Miami team at home so I have no reason to believe it will be any better on the road against a Super Bowl contending team. While the Bills secondary is their one strong point, covering the tight end is clearly not. Against the Dolphins, the one touchdown the Dolphins scored was set up by a 21 yard pass from Chad Henne to Anthony Fasano. You know who is better than Henne and Fasano? Aaron Rodgers and Jermichael Finley. I'll be shocked if the Packers don't have a double digit lead by halftime. I'd bet the house even if the line was Green Bay by 20. (Green Bay)

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Tennessee Titans – I'm not falling for the trap that Pittsburgh is going to put together some kind of miracle run with Dennis Dixon at QB. He's started two NFL games now and he hasn't looked very good in either one. He's had his moments, but overall, I wouldn't be too excited if I were a Pittsburgh fan. Granted the Titans faced the Raiders, but they completely throttled them. Dating back to last year when Vince Young took his starting spot back, the Titans are 9-2. I like those odds. I also like Chris Johnson running all over the Steelers vaunted defense. (Tennessee)

Miami Dolphins @ Minnesota Vikings – I wouldn't normally be so quick to pick Minnesota, but Miami did nothing to show me that they are better than 8-8 this season. Meanwhile, Brett Favre gets the comfort of the home dome this week and has plenty of rest leading up to this game. The Dolphins got their gift win last week, I doubt it happens again. (Minnesota)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Carolina Panthers – I'd be lying if I said I had any interest in this game. Neither team excites me and there might be one player combined that holds any fantasy interest for me. When in doubt, go with the home team. (Carolina)

Seattle Seahawks @ Denver Broncos – At first glance, I was really tempted to pick Seattle in this game. Then I talked myself back down and realized I don't want to be jumping on the Seattle bandwagon after one blowout win against a fellow NFC West team. Denver should be able to bounce back and win their home opener. If they don't, they might be a lot worse than any of us thought. (Denver)

St. Louis Rams @ Oakland Raiders – Yeesh, what's with all the awful games this week? The Raiders come home after being pounded by the Titans and find the upstart Rams coming to town. The Rams didn't look nearly as bad as I thought last week against Arizona, but the Raiders aren't the same team. For anything they lack on the field, they make up for with their crowd. I've seen many quarterbacks struggle in the black hole and I don't think Sam Bradford will be any different this week. (Oakland)

New England Patriots @ New York Jets – It might seem odd that I'd pick the Jets for this game when I've bashed the Sanchize for pretty much his whole entire NFL career and I've boosted the Patriots to the second spot in my power rankings. However, I have a method to my madness. The Jets played the Patriots pretty well last year at home and I expect more of the same. Randy Moss will surely be a non-factor because he's either pouting on the sideline or being shut down by Revis Island. The Patriots defense is a far cry from the Ravens defense so even an inept QB should be able to manage at least one touchdown. I expect a 16-13 Jets win. (NY Jets)

Jacksonville Jaguars @ San Diego Chargers – The Chargers flopped in their opening game like they were Paul Pierce during the NBA Finals. Luckily for them, their division is still pretty weak and they really have no reason to worry. The Jaguars simply aren't very good and I've never been too keen on East Coast teams traveling out West for games. (Chargers)

Houston Texans @ Washington Redskins – Fine, I'll bite, I'm on the Texans bandwagon for at least this week. I'm not totally sold on Houston as a playoff team just yet, but they'll have plenty to prove this week after last Sunday's huge upset. If the Texans fall to Washington in this game, all of the doubters will come back out and assume this is the same old up and down Houston team. There is more at stake than a lot of people realize. (Texans)

New York Giants @ Indianapolis Colts – I'm so excited for another Manning Bowl that I can barely stand it. For some reason I get the feeling that we're headed for an NFL with 32 different Mannings running each team and clones of Archie Manning sitting in each press box. First step in the NFL, next is world domination. Don't say I didn't warn you. As for this game, I see Peyton lashing out on his little brother over his 0-1 start and evening things up. (Indianapolis)

New Orleans Saints @ San Francisco 49ers – The Niners had their chance to start the season out right and instead threw it out in the window. Good thing Alex Smith didn't personally throw it out the window or it would've been intercepted. Mike Singletary wasted no time and immediately called out several players during a team meeting the minute the plane landed. Good times are gonna be had in San Francisco this year. (New Orleans)

Last Week: 9-7

Season: 9-7


 

Scott's Picks –

Arizona Cardinals @ Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals

Kansas City Chiefs @ Cleveland Browns

Chicago Bears @ Dallas Cowboys

Philadelphia Eagles @ Detroit Lions

Buffalo Bills @ Green Bay Packers

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Tennessee Titans

Miami Dolphins @ Minnesota Vikings

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Carolina Panthers

Seattle Seahawks @ Denver Broncos

St. Louis Rams @ Oakland Raiders

New England Patriots @ New York Jets

Jacksonville Jaguars @ San Diego Chargers

Houston Texans @ Washington Redskins

New York Giants @ Indianapolis Colts

New Orleans Saints @ San Francisco 49ers


 

Last Week: 9-7

Season: 9-7


 

Now that we're done with the picks, below are the updated fantasy standings after one week of football. The total points scored won't matter once the season is actually over, but for now it's a nice way to see who is actually winning the bet. Hint: it's not me.

BZ Staff League
NC Ninjas (Scott)1-0129
Inebriaters v4.0 (Devin)1-076

 

It's Just Pretend
NC Ninjas (Scott)1-0152
Buffalo Blaze (Devin)0-162

 

Lake Erie Football League
Buffalo Blizzard (Devin)1-0152
NC Ninjas (Scott)1-0111.5

Follow Us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Topics