Falling Asleep at the Wheel


It's true. It seems the Sabres are starting to fall asleep at the wheel. A team that was once in clear control of the Northeast Division is now clinging to a one point lead over Ottawa with just three games remaining before the Olympic break. So how did this happen? Well, there is a good chance I jinxed the team by writing one of my biggest homer articles ever, however, I refuse to take full blame for this. You see, I wrote that article on January 23rd, which was just after two straight losses and just before two more losses. So it's not all my fault.

Teams go through slumps; I understand this fact, so I don't want people to think I'm just overreacting. But there is a definite cause for concern in Western New York right now, or at least there should be. In their most recent stretch, the Sabres have lost eight out of 10 games. Combine that with the recent hot stretch by Ottawa and you can see how the division lead has dwindled down to nothing. They have lost games to the Kings, Sharks, Canucks, Penguins, Senators, Hurricanes, and Blue Jackets. The last two being the most disturbing seeing that they are two of the worst teams in the league. To put things lightly, this two week break is coming at the absolute perfect time for Buffalo.

But even before that, the Penguins and Senators were also huge losses. For one, they might play one of those two teams at some point in the playoffs. And two, they were clearly in both games before suffering massive meltdowns. They actually held a 3-1 lead over Pittsburgh before laying down in the fetal position and watching Sidney Crosby take the game over. Very few things have been more painful for me this season than to watch the second half of that game. Against Ottawa, they were tied 2-2 with less than a minute remaining in regulation before Daniel Alfredsson scored the game winner on a wide open net. In both of these games, the exact opposite happened of what I wrote about.

So what is going on with the Sabres? Is it just a late season slump or is it something more? Personally, I think it's a combination of the two.

Contributing to the slump is goaltender Ryan Miller. It's no secret that Buffalo will only be as good as Miller is and lately, he has struggled. To be fair, when you barely ever get a night off, you're bound to wear down as the season goes on. In the month of January, Miller played in 13 of 14 games. Backup goaltender Patrick Lalime started two of those games, but Anaheim chased him out so fast that Miller had to play on his night off. But don't worry; Miller should get some rest during the Olympic break. Oh wait, he is playing every game for Team USA too. This would be best addressed if the Sabres acquired another backup goaltender either before the Olympic freeze or before the trade deadline. They need a guy who can spot Miller every five or six starts and make sure he is fresh for the playoffs. Lalime doesn't appear to be that guy, despite what I thought earlier this season.

Not to be left out, the Sabres forwards have also contributed to the slump in a major way. While I marveled at the Sabres in my homer article referenced above for having balanced scoring, I also mentioned that not one forward has 20 or more goals. To say the least, I was clearly ignoring an alarming stat in order to make the forwards still look good. So far this season, the Sabres have scored an average of 2.72 goals per game which is good for 12th best in the league so far. While that doesn't sound terrible, take note that this would be the lowest scoring Sabres team since year before the lockout. If it wasn't for the stellar play of Ryan Miller this season, the Sabres wouldn't even be where they are right now.

I've crunched a few numbers for the forwards so far and the results have been alarming. So far this season, every single forward that played for Buffalo last season is on pace to score fewer points this season than last season, except Patrick Kaleta. Kaleta has already exceeded his nine points last season with 11 this season in 10 less games. He has been the lone improvement.

Adding to that, the Sabres have shown themselves to be softer than a bulk pack of Charmin lately. As recently as last week against Ottawa, Ryan Miller got completely plowed over behind the crease and the only player to even show a hint of anger was Tyler Myers, and it was a lame attempt at that. But I won't fault the rookie; there are other players on Buffalo who should know better. I can guarantee that the same thing would not happen if someone plowed into Brodeur, Luongo, or any other top tier goalie. This only seems to happen with the Sabres, or so I've noticed.

If it wasn't for the last game in Columbus, I would tend to think that the Sabres are incapable of even fighting anymore. Steve Montador and Drew Stafford did their best to remind me that there is still a hint of toughness on the team, with Stafford clearing leading the charge in that department. It's just a shame that his fight didn't happen before the Sabres were down 4-0 to the Jackets.

And now it's time for a quick rant.

On the topic of toughness, where has Craig Rivet been this season? The guy came into Buffalo last year and was given the C and definitely earned it last season, but he has been sleepwalking this season. If it wasn't for seeing replays of the other teams scoring, I wouldn't even be so sure that Rivet is on the ice half the time. If he doesn't want the C anymore, that is perfectly fine with me, but at least say something. If I were running the team, someone like Paul Gaustad would be given the C in a heartbeat. That guy is one of the few players on this team that seems to give a damn on every single shift. While we're at it, Roy and Hecht could stand to lose the A as well. There are players like Mike Grier who are better suited for that role.

Ok, that is my rant, and now back to the topic at hand.

I mentioned this during my Columbus/Buffalo running diary, a player like R.J. Umberger would be perfect for Buffalo. It was a snap judgment statement (that happens often during a running diary), but I said I would gladly trade Derek Roy for Umberger if the offer was on the table. I actually thought I was crazy the next morning (from a Buffalo perspective) until I attempted the trade in NHL 10 and Columbus turned it down. Yikes. There goes that thought.

This is the biggest problem with Buffalo though. The front office has the idea in place to keep the core group together and make multiple runs at the Stanley Cup. I like the theory, but what if this group needs tweaked here and there in order to improve their chances at the run? I mean, New Jersey just went out and grabbed Ilya Kovalchuk to increase their odds. I'm not saying the Sabres should've definitely gone after Kovalchuk, but it would be nice to know that they are least attempting to improve their odds. Right now I'm not so sure.

Don't get me wrong; I love the current team. Like I've stated numerous times, I'm a huge Sabres homer. I've defended them up and down since I've been a fan, even when they have made it incredibly difficult to do so. I really like Pominville, Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Hecht, etc… but something has got to give. The Sabres have too many players that they consider untouchable. They have to be willing to cut the cord with some of them in order to improve the team. I wish I knew who was widely available for trade so I could put together a few scenarios, but unfortunately the only source I know for hockey rumors is as reliable as an old rickety wooden bridge over the Grand Canyon.

I do know that Martin Biron will be available for trade and in fact, will be traded. Islanders GM Garth Snow has said as much since Rick DiPietro returned to the lineup. Now I'm well aware that Biron's numbers haven't been great this season, but he is still a good and serviceable goalie. And on top of that, he is familiar with the Sabres and their system. In fact, Biron has been pretty bad in Long Island, going 2-11-2 in 17 games played. Still, I'm all for this trade. I'm sure Patrick Lalime is a good guy so this isn't personal, but I have next to no confidence in him as the Sabres goaltender.

Biron stated during this season that Buffalo actually contacted him prior to signing in New York but he turned it down because he still wanted to start 40-50 games per season. Needless to say, that hasn't happened at all for him. Both his and Lalime's contract is up at the end of the year, so Biron could be a serviceable backup and a deal could surely be made. If he doesn't want to stay in Buffalo and wants a chance to play, fine by me, he deserves that opportunity. But if he wants to stay, I don't see why the Sabres wouldn't allow him to play up to 30 games per season and make sure Miller is always well rested. Lindy Ruff has been quick to lose confidence in backup goaltenders, primarily Jocelyn Thibault and Lalime, but he never seemed to have that problem with Biron. To me, it's the perfect situation. Biron is giving up a few games, but he is sacrificing that for winning. Seeing how his gamble worked out this year, I like my choice better.

Now that my love-fest for Biron is over, back to the forwards. The only rumor I've read that makes any sense is a deal with Carolina for Ray Whitney. On the surface it doesn't sound bad, but there are a lot of strings attached. For instance, Whitney is 37 years old. His scoring so far this season is on par with Pominville and Roy. He has a no-trade clause. It has been rumored that in order to agree to a trade, Whitney would want a three year deal with whatever team is receiving his services. I've been told by people more familiar with him that he is also a fairly soft player. Like I said, quite a few strings attached to this one.

That being said, the Sabres absolutely have to make a deal or two before the actual trade deadline. If anything, they need a little shakeup in order to show the current group of players that they aren't untouchable. It would be ideal if any trade wasn't for Dominic Moore or Steve Bernier either. Of course, that is what they will do. And unless something dramatic happens, that will be good for a second round exit in the playoffs. Buffalo can handle teams like Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Boston, or whoever else squeaks into the playoffs in the first round. I'm not so sure they can handle the other teams in the East over the course of a seven game season.

Then again, check with me after the Olympic break and after the trade deadline. There is a good chance my mood might have changed again. It's known to happen from time to time.

Follow Us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Topics