NFL Power Rankings – Week Nine

Finally. I'm back and so are my rankings. As you may or may not have noticed, I've been missing for the past week or two while real life completely interrupted with writing for the site. I suppose that is the price you pay when the writing is done for free in my spare time and other people actually pay for my services. It's all about priorities my friends and unfortunately, sometimes the writing falls behind. Nevertheless, I'm back and we're ready to go.

Before we get started, you're going to notice a different approach to the rankings from this point on. This is something I wanted to do at the beginning of the season but it's basically impossible to do until we've all sampled a decent portion of the season to really get a feel of all the teams. Because this is the first week, I'll briefly explain what I mean by each bracket so that you get a feel for what I'm writing. I'll then rank within those so you still get my overall rankings. So without any further rambling, let's get this started.

LEGIT SUPER BOWL CONTENDERS

(This is a pretty straight forward bracket. These are the teams that I feel are legit contenders for going to the Super Bowl and even winning it. To put it simply, if we're heading to the Super Bowl and any of these teams are in it, I won't be surprised in the least. If you're a fan of one of these teams, you may want to see what kind of prices you can get on a hotel and plane ticket to Miami.)

1. New Orleans Saints (1) – The Saints are halfway to the perfect regular season that Reggie Bush boldly predicted. If they make it to 11-0 this season, I fully expect to see Mercury Morris on ESPN rapping about how bad every other team is and how great the 1972 Miami Dolphins were. That's just what America needs, that insufferable jerk living in the past. It will be at that point that I'll drive a nail directly into my temple. Don't do it ESPN. Don't. Do. It.

2. Indianapolis Colts (2) - Call me crazy, but I'm really wondering just how good of a coach Tony Dungy was. If I recall correctly, he helped build up Tampa Bay but could never get them over the hump. Jon Gruden came in with the same exact team and won the Super Bowl the following year. People soon forgot about that because Dungy won his own Super Bowl in Indianapolis and helped cement his legacy. However, I've noticed the Colts are undefeated this season with a rookie Head Coach that I think some NFL fans still don't know who he is. The mainstay through this all? Peyton Manning. I'm not saying Dungy is a bad coach by any stretch, but I'm starting to wonder just how good he really was.

3. Minnesota Vikings (3) – When I'm wrong, I'm wrong…I guess. For the record, I never said the Vikings were a bad team. I'm just the biggest non-fan of Brett Favre outside of Wisconsin and I suppose that hindered my view on the Vikings. For the record, Brad Childress has made a career so far of being a mediocre coach who makes dicey decisions, yet they are working on a contract extension for him. This is about as good of an idea as the Bills re-signing Dick Jauron for three more years after their 5-1 start last season. What happens if they don't win the Super Bowl this year? What happens if Favre falls apart in the second half of the season? What happens when Favre leaves the team and they are once again stuck with the Jackson/Rosenfels combo? I would be so against this contract extension if I were a Vikings fan. It's a bad move.

While we're on the topic of the Vikings, I once again feel the need to discuss the notion of Vikings fans not only rooting for Brett Favre, but wearing the man's jersey. On the imaginary list of things that should be illegal in sports, this principal idea has to be number one. Minnesota fans spent 16 years not just rooting against the man, but HATING him. Flash back to two years ago, simply ask a Vikings fan what their opinion of Favre was and you could count the seconds it took their face to turn bright red on one hand. I realize Minnesota has never won a Super Bowl, but there has to be some kind of limit as to how much you're willing to sell yourself out. Would Pittsburgh fans welcome Ray Lewis with open arms? Would Dallas welcome Donovan McNabb with open arms? Probably not.

I tried really hard to come up with a scenario that was of equal comparison with my beloved Buffalo Bills. I couldn't. Thurman Thomas did spend his final season with the hated Miami Dolphins but the circumstances were completely different. For the record, I covered up my large plaque of Thomas on my wall with a large "Traitor" sign until he re-signed and retired as a Buffalo Bill. It still bothers me that he went to Miami, but again, the circumstances were completely different. The only other situation I can think of is when Drew Bledsoe came to Buffalo. I still feel this situation was a little different. The Patriots and the Bills weren't rivals on the level that Minnesota and Green Bay are. Also, most Bills fans (that I know) never truly hated Bledsoe to the level that Minnesota fans hated Favre. Third, Bledsoe was replaced with Brady and literally forced to move on, where as Favre retired (and please, save the "he was forced into retirement" argument for someone else) and then came back just to spite the Packers. Would I root for Dan Marino if he came to Buffalo at the end of his career? No way. I don't get it. The Vikings fans have sold their sports souls for a shot at the Super Bowl. Karma works in funny ways. Remember that Vikings fans.

4. New England Patriots (4) – The Patriots still haven't looked completely unbeatable this season, but they are winning and that is all that matters. They actually remind me of those old Super Bowl teams they had earlier this decade. Not always pretty, but always getting the win. We'll definitely know a lot more after they face Indianapolis this week. By the way, if you want to ensure yourself a loss to the Patriots, make sure you run your mouth the week leading up to the game. That's always a smart move.

5. Pittsburgh Steelers (8) – I don't want to rank the Steelers this high but I have to face the facts, they are really good. You can never count out the defending champs once they start rolling in the second half of the season. They have a QB who has won the Super Bowl twice in his young career and that is the biggest factor of them all. Sure Rashard Mendenhall carries the football like a slippery bar of soap and Willie Parker is now the opposite of fast, but Roethlisberger knows how to win and that is so important that it can't be accurately measured. Did the Patriots always look unstoppable during their Super Bowl run? No. But when it became crunch time, they had a QB who found a way to win, no matter how ugly it may have been. To put this thought into perspective…Do I think Pittsburgh is actually better than Dallas or Cincinnati? I'm not sure. If they met in the postseason, who would I pick? Pittsburgh.


POTENTIALLY FRISKY PLAYOFF TEAMS

(This bracket can get a little dicey. These are the teams that I feel have a real shot at going to the playoffs, but I'm not saying it's a sure thing. The name basically comes from the 2007 New York Giants who kind of squeezed their way into the playoffs and caught fire at the perfect time which coincided with a Super Bowl victory. Now I'm not saying these teams are going to win a Super Bowl by any means, but I'm not ruling out. They may fall apart in the second half and miss the playoffs altogether (2008 Tampa Bay Buccaneers) or they may make the playoffs and simply flame out in the first round (2008 Atlanta Falcons). Really, anything can happen with these guys. If you're a fan of one of these teams, there is definitely reason to be excited as we continue through the second half of the season. Stranger things have happened.)

6. Cincinnati Bengals (6) – I know, I know, I moved the Bengals down after another big division victory and despite the fact that they are in first place in the AFC North. They mostly got moved down because Pittsburgh moved up so high. Like I said in the beginning, these aren't my normal rankings. I really don't think Cincinnati is a legit Super Bowl contender just yet. They are definitely frisky and definitely look like a playoff team, but they still have a lot to prove in my eyes before I start considering them for the Super Bowl.

7. Denver Broncos (5) – I know I'm going to get some flak for this, but I refuse to apologize. The Broncos are a very good team and should be headed to the postseason this year, but they still have a rookie head coach and Kyle Orton starting at QB. It's those two reasons that I don't consider them a legit Super Bowl contender just yet. Maybe I'll be proven wrong; it's been known to happen from time to time.

8. Dallas Cowboys (10) – Dallas has proven me wrong so far in going 6-2 to start the season. They have three absolutely winnable games coming up and should be 9-2 when they face the Giants again. I'm still skeptical of the Cowboys only because I want to see Tony Romo really do it when it counts. It's usually around this November/December time that he crumbles so I'll be keeping a close eye on him.

On a somewhat related side note, will someone tell Roy E. Williams to shut the hell up? Look Roy, you're just not that good. You're absolutely right, you're not T.O. You know why? Because even when T.O. was "complaining" in Dallas, he was still catching double digit touchdowns. You? Not so much. In fact, you're stats are almost dead even with T.O. this year, and in case you haven't noticed, he's on a REALLY BAD team. T.O. is heading for his 1000th career reception this year. Let us know when you hit 400.

9. Philadelphia Eagles (7) - The Eagles suffered a huge loss at home to Dallas but still clearly control their own destiny in terms of the postseason. I have to wonder what I was thinking when I made them my preseason Super Bowl pick for the NFC. I mean, how many years have to go by before Andy Reid figures out this whole coaching thing? Sure he is a very good coach overall, but he makes some very questionable decisions on an almost weekly basis. Going for the field goal, down by seven, with under five minutes to go in the game? Holy Dick Jauron that was a terrible decision.

10. Arizona Cardinals (18) – I'm bumping the Cardinals way up this week after beating down on the lowly Bears. Why? Because they are 5-3 and it's pretty much smooth sailing to the NFC West crown again. They have Seattle, St Louis, and Tennessee on their upcoming schedule. The way I see it, they should be 8-3 by the time they meet up with Minnesota (and lose). Then at 8-4 they will get their re-match with the 49ers and officially seal the deal on the division title. Normally I wouldn't put much stock into them still, but I think Arizona proved what they can do once the playoffs start. I absolutely cannot rule them out for that very reason. I wouldn't exactly bet on it, but I'm not betting against it. Also, a huge two thumbs up to Arizona coach Ken Wisenhunt for his postgame quote, "We didn't let them off the hook." Great…great stuff.

11. Atlanta Falcons (13) – The only real shot I see for Atlanta is squeaking in as a Wild Card team. They are still a full three games behind New Orleans for the division and that is including their one loss to the Saints. They could still beat the Saints and go on a mini-run, but I'm not banking on it. However, the Wild Card is theirs for the taking. The only other definite team I see competing with them for it is Philadelphia. The Giants have completely lost their way and nobody in the North or West deserves the other spot. The Falcons define what I was saying above as potentially frisky. Can they go on a little three game run once the playoffs? Absolutely.

12. Baltimore Ravens (9) – Another team I grossly overrated is Baltimore. Not only have they completely fallen apart, but they just got swept by the Bengals and really shot themselves in the foot. The wild card is still a possibility with them but it will really depend on their two games remaining against Pittsburgh. This past weekend put them in the position of having to sweep the Steelers instead of maybe just getting the split. Judging on their 0-3 record against Pittsburgh last season, things aren't looking very good right now for Baltimore.

13. San Diego Chargers (14) – I originally had San Diego in the "mathematical" category before the weekend, but had to move them up after their comeback win against the Giants. What a great drive by Phillip Rivers. He only had one timeout and didn't even have to use it. It was about as picture perfect as you can get. They face Philadelphia at home and if they win (very likely) they could be just one game out with a re-match against Denver. Things could get very interesting out West again.


MATHEMATICALLY IN IT

(This bracket belongs to those teams who are mathematically in it. By that, I simply mean that every major sports outlet (NBC, FOX, CBS, ESPN) will use the word "mathematical" at least 10,498 times between now and the end of the season when referencing these teams. Despite them always using this phrase, these teams are not in it. They just are not. The reason the word "mathematical" needs to be used is because it takes at least 10 minutes to calculate a scenario for them to actually make the playoffs. Instead of just rooting for your team, you're also rooting for seven other teams to lose and one to tie. Sorry, it isn't going to happen. If you're a fan of one of these teams, do yourself a favor and don't figure out any playoff scenarios because you're wasting your time.)

14. New York Giants (12) – I initially did these groupings late last week because I knew it was going to be a little more extensive than my normal rankings. I didn't even hesitate to put the Giants into this category because I'm 100% certain that you can stick a fork in them. Before I go on about the Giants, I'd like to apologize to those readers who have followed us since the beginning of the season and actually witnessed me rankings them number one in the league. I'm sorry. I grossly overrated them. It won't happen again.

Back to the Giants. Of their 5-0 start, one win came against a team with a winning record. That would be the Week Two victory over Dallas, 33-31. While it was a nice win, it was extremely close and I should've taken that into consideration. Since then they have played four consecutive games against teams with winning records and imagine that, four straight losses. Granted they do have a nicely timed bye week coming up, but it isn't going to help. After the bye they have Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, and Philadelphia in four consecutive weeks. Right now I see an 8-8 finish at best, and that's assuming Minnesota rests their starters in the final week of the season.

15. Green Bay Packers (11) – The Packers were my one surprise team that I had winning the NFC North before the season, however I should've factored in that they have zero offensive line and Aaron Rodgers doesn't know how to get rid of the ball. Honestly, I felt like I was watching the Bills play in Tampa Bay yesterday. Except the fact that the Bills actually beat Tampa Bay. The Packers have at least three definite losses on their remaining schedule and I'm not very confident that 9-7 is going to get them a wildcard spot. Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are officially on the hot seat.

16. Chicago Bears (17) - The Bears/Cardinals game was amazing on so many levels yesterday. Let's go over the different ways. 1) Tommie Harris completely lost his cool and set the tone for the entire afternoon. If there was an option to change my pick within the first minute of a game, I would've broken my neck running the computer so fast to change it. 2) Jay Cutler continued to struggle and further proved what I said before the season, he is a glorified fantasy QB with limited weapons in Chicago. How is Denver doing this season? 3) Kurt Warner finally lived up to his potential and rewarded me with one of the biggest upsets in my fantasy keeper league. 4) In the same league, I benched Greg Olsen but didn't in the others I care about. Three touchdowns are very nice for the former Miami tight end.

17. Houston Texans (15) – Houston came oh so close to beating Indianapolis, but failed once again, and will be watching the playoffs from home once again. This really wasn't your typical loss halfway through the season. It knocked them to 5-4 and even if the Colts were to lose next weekend to New England, Houston would still be a full three games behind them. Oh, and they play again in three weeks. I'd like to say Houston stands a chance to make a run but they don't. They might be the most inconsistent team ever. When they lose to Indianapolis in Week 12, go ahead and crown the Colts.

18. Miami Dolphins (16) – Along with the other teams that are toast, add Miami to that list. It's a real shame that they can't play the Bills and Jets every week or they would surely go undefeated. In my favorite twist of irony during the week, I thoroughly enjoyed how the Dolphins players and fans stated numerous times just how un-classy the Jets are these days. While I don't totally disagree, I did find it interesting that Joey Porter then proceeded to open up his big yapper again before the Patriots game. I do understand that Porter is a totally different situation though; he actually backs his words up. On the positive side, the Dolphins do have a favorable three game stretch coming up, but it's pretty much too little too late with Miami. Things might change if the Patriots go 1-2 in the next three and Miami goes 3-0, but that is a discussion to be had in three weeks.

19. Jacksonville Jaguars (22) – I'd like to give a real in depth analysis of the Jackonville game, but just like the entire city of Jacksonville, I didn't see a single second of it. What an embarrassment. On the list of cities that should never own an NFL teams, Jacksonville has to be ranked right around 87. I find it extremely laughable when people make comments about the Bills moving to Los Angeles or Toronto. Last time I checked, the Bills haven't made the playoffs in a decade, they still suck this year, and they still sell out all the games. Meanwhile, Jacksonville has fielded some very competitive teams in the past and they still can't sell out their stadium. And that is after the fact that they tarp off half the upper deck to cut back on the stadium capacity. MOVE THEM ALREADY. I'm done with you Jacksonville. Done.

20. New York Jets (19) – I'm going to have to check the box scores again but I'm pretty sure I saw that despite having a bye week, Mark Sanchez still threw two interceptions over the weekend. The worst part about the upcoming schedule is that the Bills moved their Jets home game to Toronto this year. I would absolutely LOVE to see Sanchez try and throw in the December wind in Ralph Wilson Stadium. Oh well, maybe next year.

21. Carolina Panthers (21) – Carolina really made a game out of it in New Orleans before finally losing. As a Bills fan who has seen that so many times before, there was no doubt the Saints were going to come back. It's what good teams do. Or better yet, the Panthers were going to find a way to lose. It's what really bad teams do.

22. San Francisco 49ers (20) – The Niners have really slipped up and let this season get away from them. What was once a division leading team is now a 3-5 team staring at a two game hole in their division. You gotta love the NFC West. And by love I mean despise. What a crappy division.

23. Buffalo Bills (23) – Before you get all up in arms about the Bills being in this bracket and not the one below, just settle it down and hear me out. The Buffalo Bills are not going to the playoffs. I don't care what happens during the rest of the regular season, there is absolutely no way they are even sniffing the playoffs. In fact, I tried to convince a group of friends before the season that we should pool together our money and place a bet on the under for Bills total season wins, which were set at 7.5. I told them there is no way the Bills finish .500 or better and now I feel even better about those chances.

However, the Bills did win the last two games on the road which officially placed them in the mathematical category. Nobody who watches the Bills thinks that they are any good. The Bills wouldn't have even won those games if it wasn't for super-rookie Jairus Byrd. But to those who only check the box scores, they are 3-5 and that means they still have an outside shot at making the playoffs. The optimistic side of me is saying that the Bills have two games on the road coming up against Jacksonville and Tennessee. I wouldn't be completely shocked to see them sitting at 5-5 near the end of November which is exactly why they are in this category. However, the realist side of me saying that they are still facing the Jets, Dolphins, Patriots, Falcons, and Colts to close out the season. Hello top 10 draft pick! (I wrote this before the news broke about the possibilities of Vick and Buffalo next season. I'll have more to say about that in the coming weeks but for now I've already written enough about the Bills.)


BOTTOM OF THE BARREL

(This bracket is self explanatory. These teams are the cream of the crap. They are the most dreadful to watch and the most embarrassing to root for. Even though you're probably one of the biggest die-hard fans, you don't even look forward to the games anymore because you know it will be a constant headache and a true test of your patience. Chances are you are more excited for college football because it gives you a chance to scout players entering next year's draft. It's just shame your team will probably blow that too. If you're a fan of one of these teams, I really hope you gamble or play fantasy football because it's going to be a loooooooong rest of the season.)

24. Tennessee Titans (27) – I feel bad putting the Titans in this category but two wins in a row doesn't necessarily excuse them for the 0-6 start, especially coming off a 13-3 season a year ago. The good news for the Titans is that Chris Johnson is well on his way to taking home the rushing title this season. He is actually at 959 for the season which is a solid 122 over the second place rusher, Cedric Benson. What's that? He faces Buffalo this week at home? Go ahead and chalk up another 200+ yard game for Johnson.

25. Seattle Seahawks (24) – Seattle did their best to scare the crap out of their fans before finally taking over and beating Detroit. I really have no idea what to make of this team. Although I have them in the really bad category, they are 3-5 and that is better than some of the teams above them. Then again, their three wins came against teams with a combined record of 6-18. They face Arizona this week and I could argue that with a win they will be only one game out in their division and right in the thick of things out West. But, that would be arguing that Seattle can actually beat Arizona. Yeah, it's not happening.

26. Oakland Raiders (25) – Wow, what a season Oakland has had so far. Although to be honest, it's pretty much par for the course as far as things go in Oakland. JaMarcus Russell has been absolutely putrid this season and has gone a long way to surpass Ryan Leaf as the biggest draft bust in NFL history. His QB rating is currently at 48.3, which is better than only Derek Anderson of the Cleveland Browns and both have identical touchdown to interception ratios (2 to 9). I actually just sat at this screen for a good five minutes trying to find the words to fully describe just how bad Russell is and I couldn't do it. I suppose things could be worse for the Raiders though. Their Head Coach could've been accused of beating women after it was just announced that he wouldn't face charges for breaking the jaw of his assistant coach.

Wait…what?

27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (32) – I knew something had to go wrong. I have never made it very far into eliminator/survivor leagues and this year I was going all the way. That is, until I picked the Packers to beat the Buccaneers. The worst part had to be Tampa Bay wearing the throwback creamsicle uniforms. It was like rubbing salt in the wound. Hey, not only are we going to win and destroy your eliminator league, but we're going to do it in these horrendous orange uniforms. Jerks.

28. Kansas City Chiefs (26) – The Chiefs finally have had enough of Larry Johnson and I have to assume that his era in Kansas City is coming to an end. For all the great things Twitter provides, the one bad thing is giving athletes an uncensored voice. One has to wonder how many times in the past Johnson was told to shut up by the few smart people around him…assuming there are any. I still remember the days of Johnson and Priest Holmes running all over the rest of the NFL. Those days are long gone. I'll be shocked if Johnson ever tops 1,000 yards in one season for the rest of his career.

(Note: After writing the above paragraph, it was announced that the Chiefs have released Larry Johnson.)

29. St Louis Rams (30) – I really thought the Rams were going to go winless this year so I'm a little disappointed that they beat Detroit. Then again, I guess that's what you get for trusting Detroit. I will give the Rams credit for their comical safety in that game though. Sometimes it amazes me how such amateur plays happen at the highest level. Good stuff.

30. Detroit Lions (29) – Word was spreading about how the St Louis Rams were a legit contender to go winless and join the Lions in winless history. Well, that news must've spread to Detroit and the Lions weren't about to have any of that. I would've argued a few weeks ago that the Lions were much improved from last year but now I'm thinking I have to take back those words. Granted they have already improved on last season's impressive 0-16 record, but that isn't saying a whole lot for Detroit. At some point I would think the NFL actually needs to step in for these teams. How can you be this bad for this long with a salary cap in place? It goes beyond logical reasoning.

31. Washington Redskins (28) – I'm sure by now everyone has seen the video of DeAngelo Hall being a complete jackass in Atlanta. Nicely done DeAngelo. I can just see Atlanta ownership up in the press box laughing hysterically at the fact that someone else paid Hall and is now dealing with his problems. What a loser.

32. Cleveland Browns (31) – I've been pretty harsh on the Browns this year and so far it's been completely justified. In fact, I don't think I've ever nailed down a team before the season started as well as I've nailed down Cleveland. To be fair though, it is the Browns we're talking about so it's not like I went out on a limb with my comments. Next thing you know I'll be taking credit for telling you that the sky is blue and the grass is green.

I like to consider myself to be a fair man and with that being said, I want to give the Browns some credit. As you may have heard, Browns owner Randy Lerner met with two members of the famous Dawg Pound last week to discuss the team and the path they were heading on. I have no idea what was said in that meeting but the fact that there was even a meeting to begin with deserves some praise. What other owner would actually sit down with two fans for two hours and discuss the team with them? What a great move. Even if nothing actually comes of it, the actual gesture is enough to show that the owner might actually care about the fans. Granted, he may have met with them because he's afraid of losing money and it's all a business to him, but I'm going with the 'glass half full' approach on the meeting. Nice job.

Follow Us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Topics