Bills/Vikings Preview & Week 13 Picks

When the NFL schedule was first released for this season, the game this week against Minnesota was the second most highly anticipated one for me personally. The first being last week's game against Pittsburgh since I live in a city that tries to act like Pittsburgh's little brother.

While it may seem odd that a game against an NFC North team would draw my interest, it should be no surprise to those who know me. For one, I know enough Vikings' fans personally to generate a tiny rivalry with them, so it's always fun when the Bills take on the Vikings. Second, the Bills get to face Brett Favre, who is my version of the devil when it comes to NFL players. I've made no secret when it comes to my feelings on Favre so I would really enjoy watching him fall flat on his face against my team. And third, I really want to see Stevie Johnson rebound from the last game and especially do it against Cris Carter's former team. It would be that much sweeter if he did.

Before the season I predicted that both of these games would be losses and joked that nothing good comes my way in terms of sports. While the latter is mostly true, I don't think a Bills victory this week is very far-fetched anymore. The Vikings have been a disaster this season and while the Bills have only won two games, they are easily the best 2-9 team I've ever seen. The one advantage Minnesota has on Buffalo is Adrian Peterson against the worst rushing defense in the NFL. Luckily for the Bills, if Peterson even plays at all, odds are he won't be 100% for the game.

Since the last time I wrote a preview, the Bills have won two out of three games and probably should've won the third. This included a home win against Detroit that I was in attendance for and a second half thrashing of the Bengals. I will say without a doubt that Buffalo fans don't always get the credit they deserve. I'd like to see what other group of fans would fill a stadium for the most part (it was still blacked out) for their 0-8 team facing the 2-6 Lions on a rainy November afternoon and still make the same amount of noise and impact on the game. I was so proud to be a Bills fan that day.

And since I've been gone for most of November, let's see what I've missed during that time.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has continued his steady play and has pretty much ruled out the possibility of drafting a QB in the first round. In my opinion, I don't think Fitzpatrick is the answer in terms of a franchise QB. However, I do think he could hold down the job for a year or two while a second or third round pick learns the ropes from him.

Fred Jackson has now rushed for 621 yards, which is truly amazing considering the fact that he was barely used for the first four weeks of the season. Last season, Jackson had a career high 1062 rushing yards on the season. He would have to average 88 yards per game for the final five to eclipse that number, which is a definite possibility.

Stevie Johnson has 59 receptions, 796 yards receiving, and nine touchdowns so far. A few points of interest on Stevie's season so far. According to my research, Eric Moulds holds the franchise record for receptions in one season with 100 in 2002. Stevie would have to haul in 8.2 per game to tie that mark. It's a long shot, but it isn't out of the question just yet. Eric Moulds also holds the franchise record for receiving yards in a season, with 1368 in 1998. Stevie would need 114.4 per game to tie that mark. I think that is out of the question personally. But who knows? Maybe a huge 200 yard day puts it more within reach. Finally, Bill Brooks holds the franchise record for receiving touchdowns in a season with 11 in 1995. That record is by far the most attainable and could even be tied this weekend in Minnesota. One franchise record would be awesome. Two would be even better, but all three would be downright amazing.

The defense has also come around lately. Granted they still allow a ton of yards, the point totals have decreased which has really allowed the Bills to be in almost every game. After a string of five games early in the year allowing 30+ points, the Bills have gone on to allow 13, 22, 12, 31, and 19. The 31 is misleading because that game was against the Bengals where Fitzpatrick gift wrapped seven points, so in reality that was a 24 point performance for the defense. Like I said, not great, but a definite improvement over what they were earlier in the year.

Because I'm A) a huge homer and B) really liking this Bills team, I'm picking them to upset the Vikings this Sunday. It also helps that I have money riding on this game with a fellow Vikings fan.

Here are my other Week 13 picks, along with Scott's picks.

Houston @ Philadelphia

New Orleans @ Cincinnati

Chicago @ Detroit

San Francisco @ Green Bay

Jacksonville @ Tennessee

Denver @ Kansas City

Cleveland @ Miami

Washington @ NY Giants

Oakland @ San Diego

Atlanta @ Tampa Bay

Carolina @ Seattle

St. Louis @ Arizona

Dallas @ Indianapolis

Pittsburgh @ Baltimore

NY Jets @ New England



Entire Season: 111-65



SCOTT'S PICKS

Houston @ Philadelphia

New Orleans @ Cincinnati

Chicago @ Detroit

San Francisco @ Green Bay

Jacksonville @ Tennessee

Denver @ Kansas City

Cleveland @ Miami

Buffalo @ Minnesota

Washington @ NY Giants

Oakland @ San Diego

Atlanta @ Tampa Bay

Carolina @ Seattle

St. Louis @ Arizona

Dallas @ Indianapolis

Pittsburgh
@ Baltimore

NY Jets @ New England



Entire Season: 106-70


 

Follow Us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Topics