NFL Wild Card Preview: Part I

It's Wild Card time in the NFL and I'm especially excited for it this year. For one, fantasy football season is over which means I can just watch the games without worrying about who is scoring in what game and how many more points I need to win my matchup. Don't get me wrong, I love playing fantasy football, but after 17 weeks, I need a little break. Another reason I'm excited for the playoffs this year is the absence of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Last year was very difficult to stomach as I watched the Steelers cruise through the playoffs and win their sixth Super Bowl. Even while attending a Super Bowl party, I was unable to fully enjoy myself because I was wrapped in my own misery of watching the Steelers win. I know; I take these things too seriously. Plus, I only have to write about two games instead of 16. So really, the only way I'd be more excited for the playoffs is if I got to see the Bills actually participate in them. Luckily for me (and all other Bills fans), things are about to turn around. You hear me? THINGS ARE TURNING AROUND.

Before we get to my previews and picks for this Saturday, I wanted to take this time to review mine and Scott's regular season predictions. As you all remember, we both split up the divisions and wrote a quick preview for each team followed by our prediction of how they would finish the regular season. Now it's time to see just how smart (or dumb) we look. Listed below are the divisions and who picked them. Then I will list each team, with the record they finished with, and the record either Scott or I predicted bolded afterwards.


Final Record
Our Prediction
AFC East (Devin):


New England Patriots
10-6
13-3
NY Jets
9-7
6-10
Miami Dolphins
7-9
9-7
Buffalo Bills
6-10
5-11



AFC North (Scott):


Cincinnati Bengals
10-6
7-9
Baltimore Ravens
9-7
10-6
Pittsburgh Steelers
9-7
10-6
Cleveland Browns
5-11
3-13



AFC South (Scott):


Indianapolis Colts
14-2
10-6
Houston Texans
9-7
9-7
Tennessee Titans
8-8
10-6
Jacksonville Jaguars
7-9
5-11



AFC West (Devin):


San Diego Chargers
13-3
10-6
Denver Broncos
8-8
6-10
Oakland Raiders
5-11
5-11
Kansas City Chiefs
4-12
6-10



NFC East (Devin):


Dallas Cowboys
11-5
9-7
Philadelphia Eagles
11-5
11-5
NY Giants
8-8
10-6
Washington Redskins
4-12
9-7



NFC North (Scott):


Minnesota Vikings
12-4
10-6
Green Bay Packers
11-5
9-7
Chicago Bears
7-9
9-7
Detroit Lions
2-14
2-14



NFC South (Scott):


New Orleans Saints
13-3
6-10
Atlanta Falcons
9-7
10-6
Carolina Panthers
8-8
10-6
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
3-13
5-11



NFC West (Devin):


Arizona Cardinals
10-6
10-6
San Francisco 49ers
8-8
7-9
Seattle Seahawks
5-11
6-10
St Louis Rams
1-15
4-12




New York Jets @ Cincinnati Bengals (Sat. 4:30pm)

Leave it to the NFL to make a playoff schedule that makes zero sense. Hey, let's take the latest game on Sunday and make them play the first game this coming Saturday. Somehow, we all knew this was going to happen. Although I suppose we have to at least give the NFL credit for not hosting their Championship game on a Thursday night. That's right BCS, I said it. You suck. I hate you.

I'm sure it's fresh in everybody's memory, but these two teams met last week in the Meadowlands which ended with a 37-0 win by the Jets and allowed them to clinch the playoffs. The biggest factor in why the Jets won so easily was their running game, which has been their greatest strength for the entire season. Last week they racked up 257 total yards rushing, while only passing for 63 yards. It seems that after 17 weeks, Rex Ryan and his staff realized that they need to rely heavily on the running game while taking the ball out of Mark Sanchez's hands as much as possible. Otherwise, he may be prone to throwing multiple interceptions and throwing another game in the garbage.

I'm being dead serious when I tell you this; Mark Sanchez has been downright awful this season. Normally I wouldn't be this harsh on a rookie QB, but since the day he was drafted people were touting him as the next legendary QB to play in the NFL and something about that seriously bothered me. At first glance, I can see at least three games that Sanchez gift wrapped for the other team. Just by glancing at the Jets schedule, I can see at least three games that were tossed away by Sanchez. We could very well be discussing the 12-4 AFC East Champion NY Jets right now.

I had a very difficult time writing about this game because I kept changing my mind on who would win. Literally, this is the third time I've re-written this portion of the article. So instead of going on any further, I'm just going to highlight my main points for each team and why they will win.

Reasons the Jets will win:

  • Number one rushing offense in the NFL.
  • Number one overall defense in the NFL.
  • As stated before, they already demolished the Bengals this season.
  • 4-2 against teams with a winning record this season.
  • Winning record (5-3) in road games this season.
  • Darrelle Revis. Easily one of the top five shutdown corners in the league going against Chad Ochocinco, the Bengals one and only threat in the passing game.
Reasons the Bengals will win:

  • Bengals are 5-4 against teams with a winning record this season.
  • Chris Henry. Never underestimate a team that has gone through something major like that during the season.
  • Home field. Bengals fans will be going nuts for a rare chance at the playoffs.
  • Number four overall defense in the NFL.
  • Carson Palmer. He may not be more experienced in the playoffs, but he is far more experienced than Mark Sanchez overall.
  • 6-2 record at home this season.


My Pick: Cincinnati Bengals (-2.5) over NY Jets





Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys (Sat. 8:00pm)

Just like the Bengals/Jets game, this is a rematch from a game this past Sunday which involved the road team getting laughed right off the field. However, unlike the Bengals/Jets game, the circumstances are not quite the same. Sunday's game between the Eagles and Cowboys was for the NFC East title and the right to host the first round game, so there was quite a bit at stake for both teams. After watching the game though, it seems that only the Cowboys realized this and showed up to play.

The Cowboys are heading into the playoffs on a real strong winning streak which should worry the other NFC teams. After knocking off the previously undefeated Saints in New Orleans, Dallas has since posted back to back shutouts of division rivals. They also swept the season series with Philadelphia this season which works in their favor. In fact, the only thing I can even say negatively about Dallas is that they still haven't won a playoff game in over a decade. And really, I don't think that matters at this point in time.

I had the Eagles pegged as winning the division and representing the Super Bowl before the season, so I'm a little surprised at how poorly they played this past Sunday in handing the NFC East over to Dallas. Regardless, they made the playoffs and we've all seen how dangerous they can be once we're down to a four game season. The biggest thing working against Philly is getting swept this season by Dallas. We saw last season that Baltimore wasn't able to overcome the season sweep when they lost the AFC Championship to Pittsburgh. However, two years ago, the Giants were able to overcome the season sweep against the very same Dallas Cowboys. So what have I proven with this little exercise? Nothing. Damnit.

Upon further review of Philadelphia's season so far, it has been less impressive than I once thought. The only team they beat this season with a winning record was Atlanta, who finished the season at 9-7. I suppose I should also mention that neither Matt Ryan or Michael Turner played in that game, so it's not really the best example of Philly beating somebody worthwhile. Meanwhile, the Eagles did lose New Orleans, Dallas (x2), and San Diego. As you can see, this isn't exactly an endorsement for the Eagles Super Bowl bandwagon.

When looking at the season Dallas had, it's been much more impressive than Philadelphia. They beat Atlanta (with Ryan and Turner), Philadelphia (x2), and New Orleans, which were all teams finishing with a winning record. However, they also lost to San Diego and Green Bay. Again, much more impressive than Philly. There is a part of me that wonders just how hard the Eagles tried last week against Dallas. For instance, did they go down by a certain amount and Andy Reid basically threw his gameplan out the window because he didn't want to give Dallas anything more to prepare for this week? Who knows? I guess we'll find out Saturday night. I do think Dallas can win this game, but Tony Romo is going to have a ton of pressure on him. I can only imagine what kind of firestorm he'll face if he goes through another season without a playoff victory.



My Pick: Philadelphia Eagles (+4) over Dallas Cowboys



Sunday's Games:

New England Patriots (-3.5) over Baltimore Ravens

Green Bay Packers (+1) over Arizona Cardinals

Follow Us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Topics